Tuesday, April 15, 2014

Zaragoza - Week nine

HI family!

First off, congrats Mom and Dad on your half marathon. I'm way jealous. Let's do one together when I get back. Speaking of, Hermana Findlay and I are running 4 miles every morning here. We wake up early to do it. We have to get skinny before we see you on Mothers Day.

Life here is good! We had another rough week, but things are starting to progress a little at least. So Kleber, one of our investigators, is ready to be baptized but, lives with his girlfriend. She has two sons who have been coming to church with Kleber every week for a while now, so we've started teaching them. The mom is less interested. She is catholic. I can understand why she's a little hesitant, she's been catholic all her life, and it's not very easy to just one day drop everything and change. So I think  she will come around with time. But the boys are so great! They read and come to church and are making friends and everything! Both boys and Kleber have the goal to be baptized on the 26th of this month! So cross your fingers. They remind me of my Peruvian family in San Sebastian. I'm excited for them.

So this week we had interviews with President Pace! It was super fun, I always love interviews. Afterwards, they drove us about an hour and a half back to our apartment too. It was SUPER fun to ride with them and get to know them better. They bought us ice cream too. I feel like I've gotten to spend a lot more time with them lately which I really love.

In my interview I told President how we have been struggling to find new people to teach lately. We have been contacting like crazy, as always, but we've been struggling to find people to listen. Hermana Findlay and I weren't really sure what was going on because five weeks ago we found 13 new investigators in a week doing the same stuff we have been doing for the last three weeks. But we have had a struggle of a start to our second transfer here together. But President told me that maybe the Lord wants us to work in a different way. So Hermana Findlay and I decided we were going to try and work more through the members, we had done a ton to try to find through our own efforts, but we were going to try a different approach and see what would happen  if we made more of an effort to visit all the members more frequently in our area.

So this week, three of our less active members that we visited told us about friends they have that would be interested in meeting with us. How cool is that? One guy, Leonardo brought a friend to church yesterday. He said his friend is really interested and wants to start meeting with us the week after next. It's so interesting how the Lord works. We work and work to find people to teach in the street, and then randomly, members bring their friends for you to teach! It just goes to show that if you're working hard, the Lord will provide you with people. I am excited to see what else will come during this transfer. I really love this area.

Oh also funny story. So I know there's some of you out there that think that people wouldn't ever reject cute little missionaries like us (like how that happened to the girl in Elder Hollands talk in conference with being spat on). I would just like to invite you to rethink your ways..  haha.

The other day, we were knocking doors, and there were some fierce people in this building, let me tell you, FIERCE. Anyway we knock on one, no answer. We knock the next, and a very old sounding lady shouts from inside "Yes? Who is it?" over and over again until she made it all the way to her peephole. All of a sudden, the other door on the floor (the one that didn't answer when we knocked it) opens up and an old woman appears and starts shouting "Gladys, DO NOT OPEN YOUR DOOR, DO NOT OPEN YOUR DOOR" and gives us a glare and slams the door. She started talking to her husband about calling the cops on us. So we walked down to the next floor haha.

Anyway, wild things like that happen on a daily basis. Sometimes to start a conversation in the street all I will say is "hola..." all cute and nice and people shake their little finger and walk past. So what I've started doing is saying, "oh, you don't know where this street is?" and then they respond and feel all bad for rejecting me. It's really funny actually. Oh the life of a missionary. It gets wild.

So this week I'll only be in my area three days I think. I'm doing an intercambio and then Hermana Findlay and I get to go to the islands for the weekend for a conference with the executive director of the missionary department for the church. So we're PUMPED about that. I'm loving the work here! It's super warm here, it makes the work easier. Love the sun! Anyway, Love you! Have a great week!

Hermana Reid


They are backwards, but they are cat balloons for hermana porters birthday. who doesnt like a good hanging cat?

I know I'm not as funny as I think I am. it says "why not?"




No comments:

Post a Comment